Thursday, July 25, 2013

Mongo Madness variant

My wife had been craving my Mongo Madness but I decided to do it a little differently this time, just for a change. Besides the ingredients I normally use, I added coconut milk and tumeric powder to make a kind of curry. Sort of.

I went out and bought two fresh coconuts. The ladies who were selling these cut a hole into the husked coconuts and poured the coconut water into plastic bags which had been temporarily placed inside a large plastic cup. Then, using a bolo (Philippine machete) the cut the coconuts in half and scraped out the fresh meat which was placed inside another bag. I took these bags home and ran everything through our blender then strained it to make homemade coconut milk. (I actually added too much of the coconut water, so my coconut milk came out a bit too watery. Oh, well, live and learn. This was my first attempt.)

I also added five silis (fresh, medium-hot green peppers) and six little red peppers, like Thai peppers. These gave my mongos just enough of a "bite" without actually being all that hot or spicy.

I used probably around four or five tablespoons of tumeric (I didn't measure, I just put.) I don't think my wife was all that crazy about it as she didn't rave over it or mention how good it was as she normally does, but I liked it just the same.

(My mother-in-law who lives next door once gave us some mongos that she'd made, with coconut milk, sili and tinapa (a kind of smoked, dried fish.) It was very delicious! I was trying to emulate that plus use up the tumeric that we already had. In restrospect, I should have asked the m-i-l how to make the coconut milk, I suppose.)

Sorry, I didn't take a picture this time. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment